Sunday, May 9, 2010

A New Colleague in Food in the Arts

Eat Your Words: A Journal of Food Literature is a new blog for poets and writers.

The editor is Heidi Kenyon of Vashon Island, Washington. She posted her first edited entry in August 2009.

Here are two samples:


Thanksgiving

Because I just got paid
and I spent the day alone,
a day in which I
dyed my hair,
made the turkey broth, pies,
cranberry sauce and roasted garlic
for the Thanksgiving dinner
my sister will attend at my home
tomorrow, cleaned the mildew from the grout,
and washed our summer bedspread
to put it away until next April,
a day with no conflict with anyone,
just me and the cat,
because I listened to beautiful music
all day,
because the colors of things are brighter
and more vivid now than before,
because I begin to love where I live
and the inside of my home
becomes quaint rather than drab,
because I feel warm and safe and hopeful,
today, Wednesday, the day before the last
Thursday in November
is my day of thanksgiving.


—Kimberly Sherman

A poet and school bus driver in San Diego, Kimberly Sherman attended Humboldt State University (BA Anthropology) and the University of Pittsburgh (MA Linguistics). Her poems have appeared in the Journal of Formal Poetry, San Diego Poetry Annual, and Blue Collar Review.


Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup for Lunch by Patianne Stevenson


I hope that you will join me in this sensual feast.



No comments: