Friday, April 20, 2012

The Chef's Tattoo: A Culinary Art


 
 






 Above: Mike Deno's painting of Baley Hazen Blue Cheese, 2012. Made in Vermont.


Just Like Jean-Baptist Chardin:



Realist artist paints cheese and other delicacies and proves that food-art stimulates us, deep-down 

Mr. Geno’s cheese quest began with his 40th birthday. A friend gave him a gift certificate for Di Bruno Bros., an award-winning cheesemonger in Philadelphia.

“I said, ‘I’m going to buy something I would never spend money on,’ ” he recalled. He scored a slab of Gorwydd Caerphilly. He became mesmerized.

“It was too beautiful just to eat,” he said.  '


"I only paint things that I find attractive and appetizing,” he said. “I like to translate what I find the most seductive about my subject. And cheese, it turns out, is the absolute perfect match for the way I paint. I get hungry looking at cheese.”
                                          Mike Geno (NYTimes, April 19, 2012)

Mr. Geno’s cheese quest began with his 40th birthday. A friend gave him a gift certificate for Di Bruno Bros., an award-winning cheesemonger in Philadelphia.

“I said, ‘I’m going to buy something I would never spend money on,’ ” he recalled. He scored a slab of Gorwydd Caerphilly. He became mesmerized.

“It was too beautiful just to eat,” he said. 
                                                                            

No comments: